26-Year-Old Man Dies After Getting Rare Bacteria Infection While Swimming

A rare bacteria has claimed the life of a 26-year-old man, WTSP reports.

Cason Yeager
Cason Yeager contracted Vibrio vulnificus after swimming in the waters of the Gulf of Mexico in Tampa, Florida. 

He died two days after being diagnosed with the bacteria, which is naturally found in seawater and can lead to skin breakdown and possible fatalities.

"This has been a nightmare for me, to say the least, and nobody should have to go through this," his mother Karen Yeager. She said her son was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder 10 years ago, but that he had been healthy in recent years.

This is the fourth confirmed case of Vibrio vulnificus in Florida so far this year.

According to the Florida Department of Health, Vibrio vulnificus can result from eating contaminated seafood or from an open wound exposed to seawater that has the bacteria.

The bacteria can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain in anyone infected. It can also lead to skin breakdown and ulcers.

Vibrio vulnificus is rare but under-reported. The agency received more than 900 reports of infection from 1988 to 2006.

A spokesperson from the Florida Department of Health told ABC News Vibrio vulnificus is often incorrectly referred to as a "flesh-eating" bacteria.
From: Cosmopolitan

Post a Comment